Monday, July 12, 2010

We Will Plump You Up!

There are lots of new plumping lipglosses on the market, each one promising to make your lips fuller, smoother, and glossier than the last.  Here's the real scoop on three of the latest topsellers:

Too Faced
Too Faced makes a lip plumper called Glamour Gloss.  It promises to give you a plumped shiny pout that is "pain-free" and "cooling."  I tried it in Flirt to see if it lives up to those claims.  First off, Flirt is a great natural pinkish nude color.  It's described as a cool toned pink mocha, and I think that's accurate.  It's a very pretty natural-looking color.  And even though I found it cooling, I can't say it was "pain-free."  It is cooling in a menthol sort of way, and it does impart some minor stinging sensation.  Now this part doesn't really bother me; I was a fan of the old Lip Venom "spicy" gloss that stung my lips into a swollen pout.  But my bigger complaint about the Too Faced plumper is the stickiness of the gloss.  That I cannot abide.  I tried to salvage it by applying a layer of lip balm first because the color is so pretty, and that does help with the stickiness, but I still think we can do better.

Fusion Beauty
Fusion Beauty has long been considered the gold standard in lip plumping.  It's $50 LipFusion XL uses collagen and hyaluronic acid to dramatically plump lips.  But it's clear, so you still have to apply a lipstick or gloss over the top.  Their newest invention is a plumping gloss called Infatuation.  It promises to boost natural lip fat without irritants and silicone.  I tried star-favorite Big and Bare, a nice medium plummy nude.  Again, I love the color.  As for the pumping benefits?  I found that it was better than the Too Faced for plumping but not quite as good as the LipFusion XL, but considering the gloss gives you color too and it's $29, I think it's a good deal.  The friendly helper at Sephora told me that you really have to use this one every day to get the maximum lip-fattening benefits.  I can't see myself using the it every day, so I may never realize my maximum lip-fat potential I guess, but I must say, it is very comfortable to wear.  It's more cooling than stinging, and it' smooth and non-sticky.  Over all, I like this one much better than the Too Faced plumper.  As far as pumping products go, it's only beaten by the other Fusion product, and it's the very best of the colorful lipglosses I tried.

TheBalm
TheBalm is known for making smooth, comfortable lip products loaded with Vitamin E, so I was surprised and intrigued when I found out they had created a lip plumper.  Could it be that I'd found the holy grail of comfortable lip plumpers?  I tried the Plump Your Pucker in Cocoa My Coconut, a light creamy nude.  Aside from the kitschy names, I must complain that there is not much to offer in terms of shade selection.  And most of them are sparkly, which I'm not a fan of, particularly in a lipgloss.  Lipgloss is already making your lips shiny, so why would glitter be necessary?  In any case, the shade I tried was ok, but a bit too nude for my pale skin.  I was underwhelmed.  Moreover, the active ingredients are menthol and folic acid, making this gloss even more uncomfortable and irritating than the Too Faced one.  What's worse is I don't think my lips really looked that much plumper after applying this stuff.  What a disappointment.  It's too bad because I really like some of the other TheBalm products, but this one, well, it bombed.

No comments:

Post a Comment