Thursday, July 15, 2010

Calling all Mascara Players

Givenchy has recently rejuvenated its cosmetics lines with some truly interesting products I can't wait to get my paws on (especially the odd-looking Mr. Lash Booster, but that's for another time).  First up is a new mascara.  Now I've tried a lot of mascaras, and much like shampoos/conditioners, I tend to get bored and start looking for the next great thing after the first few uses.  Yes, I'm a serial mascara user, a mascara commitmaphobe if you will.  Because mascara is something that really needs to be replaced every 4-6 weeks, it tends to go downhill fast.  Each time you use it, air and bacteria get it, which quickly transform your mascara from a smooth lash-defining little black dress of makeup to a cakey clumpy mess.  I realize it's not really the mascara's fault, but inevitably I take it out on the product and move on to the next.  By now, I'm a bit mascara-jaded and not easily impressed.  Curved brushes, plastic non-bristled brushes, combs . . . I've seen and tried them all.  And I've rarely bought the same formula more than a couple of times (shout out to CoverGirl Lashblast: you made it 3 replacements before I started seeking a Bigger Better Deal).  So I was excited to try this funky looking mascara from Givenchy called Phenomen'Eyes, but I wasn't really looking for a long-term commitment.  I was thinking it was going to be more of a one time thing.  But as it turns out, this mascara is, well, it's special. 

Phenomen'Eyes is a spherical-shaped wand with well-spaced bristles of various lengths.  The result is that you can reach those pesky corner lashes that other mascaras seem to always miss or pile on way too much product.  Also, this shape seems to be the ideal for lengthening while avoiding clumping.  It really defines all the individual lashes.  For the first time, I felt like I had those unobtainable magazine photo lashes.  You know the really close-up shots of lashes that always look like they must be purely computer-generated since they are long, perfectly separated lash-by-lash, and impossibly curvy.  While a combination is using this product after the Shu Uemura eyelash curler delivered on that seriously defined fanned out look.  I think I'm in love.  It's too bad that this mascara costs $29.  As often as I replace them and given my partiality to $5 drugstore mascaras, that is one expensive mascara.  But I honestly think it's worth every penny.  I've only used it a few times though, so I'll have to see how it does as it ages.  Even though I give Givenchy credit where credit is due, I really do hope that Maybelline or CoverGirl catch on and copy this design.

Mascara by Givenchy at ShopStyle

Now, one problem that I've heard some people have had with this product is related to the formula rather than the design.  Some have complained that it smudges too easily.  I didn't have this problem myself, but I do have a solution for it if you try this mascara and find that it smudges: use a very light coat of lash primer first.  The mascara will bind to the lash primer and prevent it from smudging.  You don't want to go to heavy with the primer though and you need to get the mascara on immediately before the primer dries (that means you have to do one complete eye at a time) because otherwise the primer will stiffen the lashes and you'll lose the benefits of the shaping and defining properties of this wand.  Hopefully, Givenchy will improve the formula regarding the smudging issue or come out with a waterproof version because the wand design is perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment