Friday, August 6, 2010

7 Days of Nude

In my quest to find the best of the best of skincare, I decided to try a week's worth of products by U.K. skincare line, Nude.  As you might suspect from the name of the line, this line is focused on bio-compatible and organic ingredients as well as recyclable packaging and fair trade sourcing (a cosmetics line first as far as I've heard).  The line uses a lot of pre- and probiotics and exotic botanical ingredients.  Their non-ingredient list is almost as exciting as their ingredient list.  I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that Nude's products are free of nearly all of the questionable stuff common in most skincare and makeup products: parabens, sulphates, DEA, and potential carcinogens to name a few.  Since I dig eco-friendly and good-for-you cosmetics lines, I was excited to give Nude a whirl.  If you're interested in trying Nude skincare before you buy, check out their Skincare Selections box exclusively on sephora.com for $18.  It's a great way to test-drive the products before you invest.  Here's what I tried:

Cleansing Facial Oil
I'll preface this with saying that I am a drugstore-cleanser girl.  I've just never understood why you would want to spend a lot of money on cleanser when there are so many great drugstore options like Cetaphil.  That said, this is by far the best and most moisturizing cleanser I've ever tried.  I'm still not sure if it's worth the hefty $36 price-tag, but I'd consider it.  It's interesting in texture because it's an oil that turns into a milky lightweight cream when you apply it to wet skin.  It smells fantastic.  I can't pinpoint the scent exactly, but it's light and fresh and very botanical-smelling.  Besides that minor detail, it feels like you're not just cleansing your skin, but nourishing it as well.  It has Omega 3 essential oils and vitamin E, which leave the skin feeling soft but clean, almost like you've cleansed and moisturized in one step.  Now you still need to use a moisturizer, but I'm very impressed that this cleans as well as it does without stripping the skin.  It even got off my liquid eyeliner without irritating the eye area.  Usually the "moisturizing" or "gentle" cleansers don't feel like they clean that well.  Overall, I'm still a little hung up on the price, but I think that I would consider it a few years down the road if my skin continues to dry out (as it seems to do each year).  This is definitely a godsend for dry skin, although I think it's suitable for normal and combination skin as well.

Miracle Mask
This is supposed to be a once-weekly mask, but I got a large supply so I decided to use it twice during my week-long experiment.  Honestly, this mask is so gentle, you could probably use it every day if you so desired.  It's a 5 minute mask, and it's supposed to firm and brighten the skin while increasing collagen production.   I did feel like my skin looked more luminous and even-toned after each use.  I'm not sure that it really helped with firmness or lines, but perhaps over a longer period of consistent use, it would be good.  Overall though, this is a gentle mask that does make your skin glow and eliminate redness/unevenness.  Again, it's a high price to pay at $62, but still a really solid product.

Advanced Eye Complex
As far as I'm concerned, the eye cream was the weak link in the Nude line.  It was difficult to blend in to the skin, and even though it eventually absorbed, it felt a bit tacky at first.  Now once it absorbed after a few minutes, it left my eye area feeling silky soft.  And it seemed to help reflect light to make the eye area look luminous and minimize dark circles.  But I didn't feel like it helped enough with firming and minimizing lines.  And at $88 for half an ounce, frankly, I expected it to do more for me.  After a week of use, my eye area felt very soft and soothed but I don't think it dramatically improved the look of the eye area.  It has some good ingredients like antioxidants and acacia, but I just don't feel like the results are worth the price.

Age Defense Moisturizer
This moisturizer feels very good on the skin.  It's softening and hydrating without leaving the skin feeling greasy or sticky.  I did feel like my skin felt a bit firmer and much more hydrated after a week of use. The long-term clinical results over a 6-week study showed some impressive anti-wrinkle results too.  My only complaint (besides the price, again) is that the smell is a bit overpowering at first.  It's not bad, just strong.  It smells very botanical, like some sort of tree.  It's not an unpleasant smell, but it's definitely noticeable while you're applying and for a few minutes before it absorbs.  It wouldn't dissuade me from using it, but I know some people are very sensitive to strong scents in cosmetics.  I don't think it's an added fragrance.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably from the combination of Cupuacu, Manketti, and orchid flower oils.  Overall, I liked the moisturizer and felt like it was the best-priced item in relationship to the quality of the product at $78.

No comments:

Post a Comment